Saturday 3 January 2009

Otis.

There are an awful lot of artists, both dead and alive, who I would have loved to see in smoky old venues. This song just rips my heart out. Otis Redding is my favourite soul singer, hands-down-absolutely-no-contest.


And this, is my favourite song of all time.

Cigarettes & Coffee

It's early in the morning, about a quarter till three
I'm sitting here talking with my baby, over cigarettes and coffee.
And to tell you that, darling, I've been so satisfied
Honey, since I met you, baby since I met you.
All the places that I've been around, and all the good looking girls I've met
They just don't seem to fit in, knowing this particularly sad, yeah.
But it seemed so natural, darling, that you and I are here
Just talking over cigarettes and drinking coffee.
And oh, my heart cries out, love at last I've found you,
And honey won't you let me, just build my whole life around
And while I complete, I complete my whole life would be, yeah
If you would take things under consideration, And walk down this aisle with me
And I would love it, yeah
People I say it's so early in the morning, it's a quarter till three
We're sitting here talking, over cigarettes and drinking coffee, now.
And I'll like to show you, well, I've known nothing but good old joy
Since I met you, darling, honey, since I've met you, baby.
I would love to have another drink of coffee, now
And please, darling, help me smoke this one more cigarette, now
I don't want no cream and sugar, cause I've got you, now darling
But just let me enjoy, help me to enjoy this good time that we'll have,
Baby it's so early, so early in the morning
So early, so early in the morning
And I've got you, and you've got me
And we'll have each other
And we don't, we don't want nothing but joy, y'all
Nothing but joy...

There's some debate over the lyrics, but I think sometimes you just hear what you want to hear.
I've kept one of them in, 'knowing this particular sad', and altered 'walk down this aisle (hour?)' to what I think he's singing.
Every time this song comes on, I know exactly where I'm supposed to be. I'm right there.

No comments: