Sunday 14 December 2008

Quotation....marks?

I've got this weird love/hate relationship with quotes.

There are some I read that articulate what I was trying to say with such clarity it's not only frustrating but blinding. Then, I just get annoyed that I didn't think to use the adjective in the first place. Why should one word win out over the other? What makes that particular word resonate?

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde said this, and I adore it but it ties in with my disdain for cliches. Cliches are such a wasteful way of saying something, it's like cheating your way around a sentence.

However, sometimes, something just throws itself at you and sticks.

"Don't let anyone, even your parents, break you. Find good people who care about you and surround yourself with just them. If you can't find them at first, find good music and fall into it, let it hold you until they come." As said by Davey Havok (don't worry, I had to Wikipedia him too). Someone told me this quote about three years ago, and it made so much noise inside my head that I never forgot it.

I guess the point of this late-night-ramble is that quotations are lyrics, just in a smaller box.

No comments: